Monday, December 18, 2006

Skiing, pilates, the gym, oh my!


It's that time of year. Everyone is hyper aware of how much they are eating and that it's holiday time and there's sweets everywhere. People are busy and don't have time to cook and there's a party every three days. People get all unhealthy and make excuses. And then the new year hits and gym memberships jump a million percent.

I have always gained a little weight in the winter. Some years more than others. I justify myself by saying, "Oh, I ski every weekend! I walk across the parking lot in ski boots carrying skis and then I ski for 2 or 3 hours and I can feel it in my thighs, so I must be fine." And then I go to happy hour, drink 3 or 4 beers and eat some nachos before heading back to the ski house to eat more bad food and drink a glass of wine while showering and then head out for a couple more beers at the club. All this drinking happens over the course of about 10 hours, so usually I'm never drunk from it all, and between that and the nachos, burger, fries or whatever other crap I eat, the root of those extra pounds aren't really a secret.

This year, for the first time since 2000, I've decided to make a committment to exercise. I first set out to find a regular yoga or pilates class, but they are EXPENSIVE. $15-20 a class no matter where you look, which is $80 a month for only one class a week and that still does nothing for my cardiovascular health or my strength training, which I need now that I'm entering my mid-30s. I shopped around even more. I visited Boston Sports Clubs, with convenient locations at South Station and Downtown Crossing, both very close to work. $129 to join and $69 a month if I sign a year contract! What? Jeez. I shopped around some more. Nothing.

Finally, my roommate, who belongs to the Y here in Dorchester for $40 a month said, how about that little gym down in Lower Mills? I looked them up and they are great. (She is sticking at the Y because they open at 4:30 a.m. or some such craziness and she loves her personal trainer.) The gym is in an old mill, and it's 4 stories, with exposed brick and exposed beams and big, huge windows. There is no sign-up fee and with membership, you get 3 1-hour personal trainer sessions to teach you what you need to know on the machines and help you set goals. All the classes are included in the monthly fee, including pilates, and the whole shebang is $29 a month with a 1-year commitment. Yay.

I have begun a new plan. I do cardio two times a week for 45 minutes on the treadmill. At least one class a week, either pilates or body blast, which is a crazy class with weights and calesthenics and a lazy instructor who only does about 4 and then stops and yells at us to do about 35 more reps. 30 minutes each for upper body strength training, lower body, and abs sometime during the week. Since I am in Vermont every weekend, all this has to be smooshed into 5 days, so I've been there at least 2 mornings before work and 2 nights the last two weeks. And then I still ski on the weekends.

Whenever, in my past, I've linked money to something, I tend to follow through with it. So even though it's only $29, it would kill me to know I was paying that and not using it. Between that and really wanting to be in better shape, I'm pretty sure I'll keep the commitment. I plan on also eating well and laying off the bad stuff, which in the past has always worked, too.

Now let's see if I can lay off the beers. Grin.

2 comments:

Nomes said...

Good on you Karen! I'm an exercise addict - it pains me not to do something every day. Are you eating brown rice, beans and lentils yet??!
Jappy Christmas, and don't forget to enjoy the plum pudding :)
Naomi xx

Caroline Bender said...

I recently discovered Pilates (exercise for people who don't like to be out of breath) and do like it. I recently discovered I should not drink beer anymore, and do NOT like that.
Pudgy and forty-cough,
me.