Sunday, May 28, 2006

The Tree

This is the pine tree in the front yard of the house where I grew up and where my parents still live. When they moved into the house in 1971, it was shorter than my dad. He used to put Christmas lights on it. We took this photo this weekend because the poor tree is dead and is being taken down soon. It's making my mom sad.

I went for a walk in my old neighborhood yesterday and I looked at all the beautiful houses and yards and how green everything is. And tomorrow morning, when my parents take me to the airport in Boston, I'll take one more long look at the city I love, the city that will be my home for the rest of my life, I hope.

I am not sure if I am crazy to be going. It's possible I am. But I also know it's the right move for me. And a good next step in this life I'm creating and trying to make as big as possible.

So I'm off. I'll miss here a lot, but I'm sure my new here will become a home soon enough. I'll miss everyone a lot, but I'm sure I'll make a new everyone soon enough. The new will never replace the old, only stand in place in the meantime until I'm here again, with everyone.

Soon, Karen

No comments: