Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Dunkin Donuts Customer Service


Good or Bad? You decide.

I got a $25 Dunkin Donuts giftcard for Christmas. I hadn't used it that much, and then I went in and got an extra large half hot chocolate half decaf and it was $2.30. I used my card, got a receipt, and it said I had $13.12 (I don't remember the exact change, but I know it was $13).

The next day, I go back, use the same card at the same Dunkin Donuts and get the same thing. They tell me the card is empty. Huh? After a bit of a back and forth, the manager gives me the coffee/hot chocolate for free and tells me to call the 800 number.

I do. They ask me for the number from the back of the card and then look up the history. They say it was bought in early December for $5 and used once in early January and again on January 11, and again the previous day which tapped it out. Okay, no. I was in Puerto Rico on January 11. They ask if I registered my gift card on line. Um, no. They ask if I have the receipt from yesterday. Um, no.

We finally figure out that they must have given me the wrong card back the day before. But, because I am irresponsible Dunkin Donuts card holder, there's no way to prove it. So she takes all my info (address of the store, date I used the card, exact amount I used it for, and the exact time I used it) and says she'll do some research and get back to me.

I had had a terrible customer service week so far, so I asked her when she'd call me back. By 4, she says. Okay, I tell her, but please call me back. I'm having a terrible customer service week so far.

At 4:30 I hadn't heard. At 5, I called them and they looked up my card number to verify the amount on the card and told me there was $14 on it. I asked her to check when that amount was loaded on the card. That morning, in fact.

So, good customer service, yes. They gave me my $14 when they didn't need to. But bad because they never called to tell me the verdict? Not sure.

The next day, I registered my card online so if I ever actually lose it (or if the Dunkin Donuts barista ever just gives me whatever random card happens to be next to her on the counter again) I can easily get my money back. And for doing so, I got a nice $2 bonus. Not quite enough to buy my extra large half hot chocolate half decaf, but I think I can swing the 30 cents to make up the difference.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of a DD "barista." We know that DD is a madhouse at the counter, but really.. they can't keep the cards straight? Isn't it in their hand? Here at BigCo, where I work, failure to even give a customer commitment is a critical error. I must check what happens to those who state a commitment, then don't meet it. Wonder where my DD card is?

Anonymous said...

I went into a Dunkin Donuts in Hauppauge, NY on Adams Street and was refused service by an employee. The owner Sunny said he would take care of her. She still works there. Sunny is East Indian, the employee is south american and I am African American.So I guess Dunkin donuts don't serve blacks.

Anonymous said...

I had the same thing happen. But still in the process of trying to make it right. I used a $25, gift card and they said it was zero balance. When I questioned them about it they acted as if it didnt happen. Still in process. I know sometimes that they are busy too. But some stores are better that others. If you find a good one. Stick with it. Some are terrible. Jim

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
katty said...

Although excellent customer service seems like a pretty basic tenet of running a business, it seems to be forgotten or over-looked by many business owners. Just as we remember good customer service, bad customer service is even more unforgettable. Thumbs up for those who gave good service! They deserve free publicity..:)
Small Business Answering service