Friday, January 19, 2007

Name Tag Revolution


I have this new connection I made through Boston Cares. A man named Joseph Porcelli, who is young and lives and works in JP in Boston and I have been working together to post Boston Cares stuff onto his Neighbors For Neighbors website in an effort to pull in members of that organization in JP to our work.

Now, for his new year's resolution, he's donned a name tag and wears it everywhere he goes in order to introduce himself to others and reconnect with the people, community and world around him. Not a bad idea.

Today, I put on a nametag. I'm going to see how long I last. He says that he feels like a dork, but that's not the point. He's right. We are disconnected as people from each other.

If nothing else, watch the clip from the news on this posting. Really good stuff.

Below is his info that he has sent out via email. Enjoy connecting!

*****************************************************

Friends,

I got more name tag news. CBS 4 Boston did a piece on my wearing a name tag.
Check it out and forward it around. My new thing is to get people to wear a
name tag for a day and then email me stories and pictures of their
experience I will then put on the blog.

http://cbs4boston.com/topstories/local_story_016190333.html


So much has transpired in the last 24 hours. Neasa is participating by wearing a digital name tag on her blog and inviting other bloggers to join her, Charlie will comparing the experience of wearing a name tag in Boston v NYC, and 14 year old teen is going snow boarding with his buddies wearing name tags. Check it out at http://nametag.neighborsforneighbors.org. How will you participate.

I've been interviewed five time already and tonight you can listen in to WBZ Radio 1030 around 9:45 PM ish after the game. For those of you out of range you can tune in online at http://www.wbz.com/pages/37336.php. Please call in and show the love! 617-254-1030.

Tomorrow I will be interviewed by Q 104 in Cleveland and on Sunday a local radio show in Kingston NY.

If you're considering wearing a name tag for a day - stop considering - and choose to do it. You'll have a blast. It not about looking like a dork - which you will - It's about getting over felling silly to make a point that you believe the power of community and are being proactive about creating it. Join me! If you do, be sure to record your experiences, take pictures, and email them back to me so I can post them to the blog at http://nametag.neighborsforneighbors.org.

Mom, dad, Marc, when are you going to try out the name tag for a day? Kate is doing it today. Dad and Marc you should really try it at the airport, the TSA folks get a kick out of this and appreciate it.

All of you who are getting this email are people I consider friends. Some of you who don't know me that well are getting this email cause I think you are cool and I'd would like to get to know you better. If any of you would like to not receive any more name tag email please simply reply with no thanks and you be removed from this list. I will not take any offense.

One last thing please forward this email to as many people as you know and invite them to participate. I want this to spread as quickly and powerfully as possible nationwide!

Your neighbor,

Joseph Porcelli.

Imagine what would be possible if every one in the country would wear a name tag for a day.

2 comments:

Caroline Bender said...

This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Kramer put up all the neighbors' photos. Down at my Company, they are trying a facebook page for our intranet. This is a start toward getting us to knowing who our bosses are too! What's next - org charts? I think this is a neat social experiment. Cut to.. Karen runs into her soulmate also wearing a name tag on the street.

Anonymous said...

Dear Author karenadventures.blogspot.com !
It is a pity, that now I can not express - it is compelled to leave. I will return - I will necessarily express the opinion on this question.