Friday, February 23, 2007

Estoy escribiendo de mi nueva computadora




I am writing from my new computer. I bought a laptop. How, you may ask, did I buy a brand new car, move to a new apartment paying first and last, and a new laptop all in the same month? I'm not really sure yet either.

Since I usually don't use credit and pay for everything in the month I buy it, it is even more crazy. Well, okay. I'm not paying for the car this month. Obviously I've re-entered the land of credit this month for that.

Things come in waves, I figure. I still put the max per month into a ROTH IRA so at the end of the year I've filled it. I still save enough each month to be able to afford a trip to Belize and Guatemala in September. I still manage to justify spending $2.30 every damn day for a Dunkin' Donuts coffee.

Perhaps it's time I stop whining and realize that I make enough money to not only take care of myself, but to also have some extra. A LOT extra. It's time to pause for a moment and own that.

I could complain and say I can't buy a house. Or that I can't afford to ski next year if stupid American Ski Company keeps selling off its mountains and there isn't an affordable pass option. I could complain and say that I want a widescreen TV or new clothes, but the facts are I don't really care about any of that.

I only really care that I can travel. I found a great quote a while back and just googled it to find it again (what did we do before the internet? seriously?)

"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes."
Desiderius Erasmus

That's me. Books and travel. That's all I really care about. A new laptop is a serious luxury. A new car a even more luxurious thing. And you can borrow books. I'm a huge fan of the library. Can't borrow travel, though. That'd be cool, huh?

Books and travel. And a Dunkin' Donuts coffee. And I'm happy. The laptop and the car? Major icing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to know everything about your laptop decision-making. because I need to get one of my own (since I can't really run my side biz on the company's) and I have a horror of getting the wrong thing. Do tell. Call you later.
~ RJS

Anonymous said...

You are the best....we miss you here at Occidental.


Love,


Dale W