Saturday, September 22, 2007

Estoy aqui!

I'm here. Tiny little island. Looks and feels a lot like Koh Tao (where I lived in Thailand, for those of you joining the Karen Show in season 2 or 3 or whatever).

Flew on a tiny, itty-bitty little prop plane to get here. I hate flying, even in big, giant, reliable planes, so it was a test (especially after that little one recently crashed in Thailand).

The "airport" here on Ambergris Caye is an airstrip with a bunch of little huts clustered on one end. You get off the plane and walk to whatever hut belongs to the airline you flew in on. Yes, there is more than one airline...capitalism! Then, there's a little porch and a little wooden sign out in the "yard" off the porch that has"Baggage Claim" painted on it. The guys take the bags out of the plane (which I can only hope were strategic in their stowing to balance weight) and pull them over manually on a cart to the area between the sign and the porch. Then they unload the bags, handing them to you over the porch railing. This part I believe was due to the rain. I think that when it's not raining, you just go get them off the cart. They even had a tarp to cover them for the trip from the plane to the porch.

So yeah, it's raining, but the locals tell me that it just started today and it's been raining at night, but not during the day. Diving doesn't need sun, so I'm cool. Just talked to the dive school and I'm good to go for tomorrow a.m. I have to be there at 8:30. Woot!

According to the taxi driver, everyone speaks English and Spanish here. So that's good. After I asked, he said that he tries to speak English, but...and he faltered. So I finished his sentence, "Tu preferencia es espanol?" And he smiled and then the rest of our conversation was in Spanish. Very nice.

Once I actually have something interesting to report, I'll back. For now, I'm going wandering.

Besos.

No comments: