Tuesday, July 01, 2008

And Trip Three is Over


To round out the most flights I've ever taken in one month, I travelled to Ohio/Kentucky for Todd and Kate's wedding. It was an easy trip (much easier than I thought it would be) and the wedding was lovely.

I flew from Boston to Columbus ($200 cheaper than flying to Cincinnati)then rented a car and drove the 2 hours down. Crossed the river, and thus the border, into Kentucky, and checked into the hotel with 2 hours to spare before the wedding shuttle would take me to the church. The reception was at the Taft Art Museum back in Ohio. The museum is akin to the ISGM here in Boston. Very cool.

After brunch the next morning, I headed back to Columbus after a quick visit with my maternal grandfather, who happened to be in the hospital in Cincinnati (he lives about 40 minutes outside the city). Thirty-five bucks for the rental car (beat that!) and 40 minutes of circling Boston later, and I was happily at home in JP. Exactly 37.5 hours gone from my house. Crazy. This must be what business travel is like, flying to LA for a meeting, and back in time for breakfast the next morning.

I went straight to a BBQ at my neighbor-friends' house, in order to celebrate their engagement, which I'd been alerted to earlier in the day via phone call, somewhere on Route 71 between cities in Ohio. They are doing it soon, doing it small, and are very happy about it. I'm excited for them, considering they are an amazing couple who I think will be very happy for a long time.

Thus ends my month of domestic trips. Whew. And imagine, all that travel, all that time, all that money (in some cases) and none of the three are cities I even have a shred of appreciation for. Oh sure, Houston is home to my niece, and Cincinnati was pretty enough (I'm partial to cities with huge rivers in them.), but given my choice of major U.S. cities to visit, Atlanta, Houston or Cincinnati would rank somewhere below number 100...

Now is time to breathe and enjoy my favorite holiday and then gear up for two more trips (Western Mass and NYC) in July followed by wedding craziness in August. I love summer (except the heat, of course).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cincinnatti is home for the Underground Railroad Museum, which I think you would have lvoed if you had had time to visit.

Looking forward to next weekend. I hope the slower pace is good for you.

Anonymous said...

but did you see the Red Sox while you were in Cincy.

more important, Yankees are here this weekend!