Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Veg-tastic!


This summer, I have a CSA share in Stillman's Farm. They are located in Lunenburg and New Braintree, MA. They participate in a bunch of the farmer's markets in Boston and they are the farmer's market in JP.

CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture, and by people buying a share, it means the farm has money for the season to help supplement what else they'll harvest and sell. To shareholders, it means we get a box of veggies every week.

I bought a 1/2 share with my neighbor-friends, Katie and Chris. So they get 2/3 of each week's take and I get 1/3. I paid $100 for my section. We started on June 26 and it runs through September sometime.

This week, I picked up the box, which I hadn't done before, because Katie and Chris are in Vermont. This is what we got today:

-- 4 red potatoes
-- 4 ears of corn
-- one bunch of arugula
-- a big handful of peas in the pod of some sort
-- 4 cucumbers
-- 2 tomatoes
-- about a 1/2 pound of green beans
-- a 1/2 pint of blueberries (but she filled it to the brim for me)
-- 5 very small apples
-- one gorgeous green pepper

It was a pretty good take. Early on, we got lots of greens. Red lettuce, romaine, kale in three colors. This was the first week for tomatoes and potatoes. Very exciting. My 1/3 of this gig is worth far more than $100. It's pretty amazing.

I've been eating almost no meat during the week, because I just make piles of veggies and throw in some black beans for protein. There's nothing like a local cucumber. It reminds me how rubbery the grocery store cucumbers are, especially in January. Eating in season can be tough in the winter, but right now, it's just a treat!

No comments: