Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Summer 2008


Me and Boston Cares staff in front of the George's Island fort in June



What I did this summer (a reprise of 2007's post, updated for this year)

- travelled to Atlanta, Houston and Ohio/Kentucky all in one month - made $95 as a First Thursdays artist - hosted a Summer Solstice Supper Soiree Potluck with my neighborhood peeps - took Mom kayaking in Maine - celebrated Todd & Kate's wedding - had a CSA share through Stillman's Farm - slept in my great-grandparents' cabin at Cobbett's Pond for the last time before my aunt and uncle tear it down to build a year-round house - visited George's Island in Boston Harbor for a day of celebration with my outgoing AmeriCorps staff members - partied like a kid on the 4th of July - welcomed a new baby into the world, Finley Grace Clinton - said goodbye to great friends who moved to St. Louis, Todd and Kate - went to the theatre festival in Williamstown - saw the world premiere of Broke-ology, an amazing play - attended the Forest Hills Cemetery Lantern Festival - tried to go to a film at the Hatchshell before it got rained out - attended a family reunion - went on a whole bunch of largely unsuccessful dates - travelled to NYC via Megabus for only $2.50 round trip - hung out in NYC with my friend Christy - ran 7 workshops for 500 Boston Summer Scholars through Boston Cares in conjunction with The Boston Globe and John Hancock - attended my almost-sister-in-law's bachelorette party in Portland - passed a cholesterol check with flying colors - went to Neighborhood Night at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum - did a Boston Lighthouse tour on Little Brewster Island with Dad - brought my mom to volunteer at Friday Night Supper Program - became the Chair of the Board for FNSP - hired, trained, and oriented 4 new staff members and assisted two others with transitions into new positions - picked up my niece at the airport - saw my brother married - career counseled a random Boston Cares member who is thinking of switching careers and found my bio on the website - drew on the sidewalk for Chalk One Up for the Arts, run by ArtStreet/Sidewalk Sam downtown - tried two new places during Restaurant Week - stabbed myself in the finger making guacamole in June and am still dealing with doctors and hand-therapy in the aftermath - tried on a friend's 2007 Red Sox Championship ring - scored Neil Diamond at Fenway tickets for Mom and Dad - packed my entire apartment in only 2.5 hours with help from my sister and then unpacked in only 2 hours on the other end after the move, which only took 3 hours - got an amazing new roommate - celebrated Andrew & Jillian's wedding (they are 25 and have been together 9 years!) - crashed my old street's Labor Day Block Party - got free Sox tickets for a Tampa Bay game - got a photo in the JP Artist Ball's silent auction - spent Labor Day weekend chillin' with my niece who is amazing

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen!

You'd better get us a win with those free tix! I'm going Monday and hope to do my part.

Sorry I couldn't be at the summer fundraiser this year, but the Cape calleth. Hope to catch up one of these days.

Keep eating those veggies! The farmers appreciate it!

Best,

Market Guy :)

Anonymous said...

Life is so good when you stop to look at it, isn't it?