Friday, August 04, 2006

Hola de Santa Maria de Fe

Hola, todos!

I have so much to say and no clue how to get it all down. I have only been here for 2 days and cannot believe how much I have already done. (I cannot find the apostrophe on this keyboard, hence the use of non-contracted words.)

Anyway, this place is muy tranquillo! I love it so far. The Intendente (Mayor) and the Funcionarios (Muni employees) seem great. I hung out there yesterday for only a ratito (short time) and again this morning for a few hours. Talked with some folks about their work and the like. I met the Director of the Colegio (high school) and we talked about me working with the students there. There is a need here for work with jovenes (the teenagers) because there is not much to do here. Right up my alley.

There is also this amazing Taller de Mujeres (workshop of women) here. They aplique by hand and then sew with machines these great stuff. Bags, potholders, key chains, tshirts, etc with scenes of Paraguay on them. They work every day from 7a to 10a and again from 1p to 4p. There are about 20 of them and they are GREAT. All ages. I just waltzed in, introduced myself and they handed me a scene to coser (sew). I have worked on it both days and since I am leaving Monday, they are keeping it for me so I can finish it at the end of August when I arrive back. I will NEVER be bored here as I can always go work in the Taller and have good chats with the women. They are already teaching me Guarani and were impressed with my rudimentary abilities. And, they are already looking for a boyfriend for me, por supuesto (of course!). In turn, I am making fun of their need for everyone to have a boyfriend. One woman, Demetria, took me home today to drink terere with her family and her daughter then took me to a volleyball game but I had to head home because it was getting dark.

Tomorrow I am going to visit the museum and then talk more with Demetria about where the heck I am going to live when I get here. I have to find my own family with whom to live for the first two months. Kinda a pain, actually.

There is more, but I am going to sign off now because I am having problems with Yahoo and have to figure out how to tell people this post is up. Hee hee.

Much love and missing and happiness in what will be my new home. Photos to follow when I get back to Ita.

2 comments:

Caroline Bender said...

Very interested to hear Tales of the Taller. (another title for your memoir!) I am looking for such a workshop/salon myself. where is John Simmons when a girl needs a trade? Travel well and keep writing.
~~Sit10

Cheryl Boss said...

Oh my God!! Why does the world world need to look for a boyfriend for you? Don't they know you are busy living an exciting, adventurous,and icredibly full life??? Remember, what will be will be, and it will come from a time and place you least expect it. In the meantime, ENJOY your new adventure.
Love you,
The mom