Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Un fin de semana en Asuncion

This has just been like a little vacation. These are some things I've done between Friday after swearing in and Tuesday morning right before heading out to site to really begin living in Paraguay.

-- Eaten a proper chef salad.

-- Seen "The Break Up" with Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn in English in a proper movie theatre.

-- Eaten a brownie a la mode.

-- Watched the Yankees masacre the Red Sox in the top of the 10th with a three run homer on ESPN.

-- Had hot water run out of the sink tap in the hotel!

-- Eaten chinese food.

-- Sat in a sidewalk cafe drinking cappucino.

-- Printed a few shots from my digital camera memory card.

-- Watched the sunset from the roof of the hotel.

-- Played MAFIA with my group of volunteers. (A game that I have always played with student leaders where I've worked.)

-- Walked all over downtown Asuncion and gotten to know it.

-- Had beer spilled all over me.

-- Went to a British pub.

-- Spoken almost exclusively English except when ordering food or talking with a vendor/business person.

It's been a great "last" weekend. It's been a bit of a teary goodbye. I feel ready to go, and scared at the same time. I've been gone from the States for almost exactly 3 months, yet my real life and work in Paraguay will begin this afternoon.

Stay with me. I think there's a lot to come.

1 comment:

Cheryl Boss said...

At least I fully understand the list of things you did last weekend. I suspect the lists will get curiouser and curiouser as your REAL Paraguayan adventure begins and I will have no idea what the heck you are talking about.

I am SOOO excited to have Stephen come to my school to instill the importance of voting and civic responsibility to my students.