Saturday, August 19, 2006

...so help me...

Well, I swore in! I repeated after the American ambassador to Paraguay and swore to uphold the consititution of the United States, guard against enemies foreign and domestic and do my duty to the best of my ability. I ended the oath with "So help me..." and dropped the "God" off the end (as did many of my fellow trainees) in an attempt to keep church and state separate. What is up with our oaths, anyway? Bibles, God, huh?

The ceremony was at the Ambassador's residence on the grounds of the U.S. Embassy here in Asuncion, which is a huge embassy because they ran Operation Condor out of here in the 70s. The residence is lovely with a huge back yard. There is a big patio in the front with a cute waterfall and trees. All over the grounds are trees with little signs saying what type of tree it is like an aboretum. There's a long, winding driveway that runs past the main offices after you pass through the gate off the main drag, Avendida Mariscal Lopez. The plaque on the gate says "Embassy of the United States of America -- 1776" as you drive in. There is a swimming pool along the drive which is open for our use whenever we want to use it (score!).

Before the ceremony, I went to use the bathroom. There were these little soaps wrapped in cellophane. I thought, Ooh, I can steal a soap from the Ambassador's residence as a little momento. But as I put it in my purse, I said outloud, There's prolly a camera in here... and smiled and put it back. Last thing I need to for the Embassy to know I steal soap. That's a great image of the Peace Corps. Or, on second thought, maybe they would increase our budget if they knew we needed to steal soap!

We were greeted by the Country Director Michael and then the Ambassador, who gave a really informative speech about what the U.S. projects and interests are here in Paraguay and then how we fit into that. It was actually awesome. Then, after he swore us in, one of my fellow volunteers (no longer trainees) addressed us as well. He did a great job. Then we went out back for lots of food and the best damn cake I ever ate.

Afterwards, we had to come back to the Peace Corps Office, which is about a 10 minute walk from the Embassy. We had to walk because there wasn't room for rides like there was on the way there. As we were walking, all the staff were driving by us and laughing. We created a little human barrier in the drive to not let our main boss by, and he just laughed. Then our trainer, Rob, drove by and said, Spell this! C-A-T-T-L-E! (We've been in such group think mode for 3 months, we are like cattle.) The next van that went by fits 14 people and only Richard and Lisa, our two head trainers were in it. They made the mistake of slowing down...we opened the sliding door and all piled in while they were saying, No, we can't take you because of liability! Whatever. We totally staged a coup and took over the van. They drove us back, and when we passed the other volunteers on the street, we yelled SUCKERS!, met by their incredulous looks -- and that was worth the whole thing.

Once back at the PC Office, we had to pick up our bank cards (our salaries are deposited once a month into the bank and then we go cobrar (collect) at an ATM close to our sites -- mine is only 30 min away by bus). Then we had to sign our official PC IDs and put in our requests for our cell phones. I'll get my ID and phone in another month or so, the next time I come into Asuncion.

We checked into the hotel, the Asuncion Palace, which is old and very very cool. The last time I stayed in town for the 4th of July, we stayed at the Alpes, which is also nice, but different. This place is OLD. I really like it. We have these cool wooden lourve doors off our room out to a balcony and we can see the river and the sun set last night was AMAZING. It's nice to be in a hotel for a few nights before heading out to site. We get special PC price, so for a triple room, it is 45,000G per night, or about $8. No clue how much it is for normal people, but not that much more than that and it includes breakfast.

Last night, we went to the Britannia Pub, a very cool British Pub in Asuncion, which felt like it wasn't in Paraguay. We had a good time, and Brandon and I left around 11:30, much earlier than everyone else. I have a head cold and didn't feel like drinking. Brandon is 22 and doesn't drink and so I knew he was my ticket back to the hotel to walk together. (After dark, not safe to walk alone - lo mismo de en EEUU (the same as in the States).) Others were pretty celebratory, to put it mildly. Hee hee.

We are all over the place because many of us still don't feel like it is completely real yet and others are just ready to GO! I am getting more excited now to go back to my site and start up the next 2 years of my life, doing good work with Paraguayans for their community.

So, I am unable to post photos from the ceremony because I have packed away my cord for my phone in god knows what bag. We had to prepare to leave Ita by packing everything and then knowing which things were going where. Each of us is getting a site-visit in the next two months by our boss to officially present us to our community. Mine isn't until October 5. So, that means, whatever I don't take with me to site on Tuesday is going to be delivered to me on October 5, six weeks from now! Augh. I only packed essentials to bring here in the first place, really, and everything only weighed 68 pounds when I checked onto the plane in Miami. BUT, I have received about a hundred different manuals and books, a mosquito net in a bag, a first aid kit in a little mini briefcase thing, and tons of other stuff. I have bought a full-size bed pillow, an amazing hand weaved blanket, and an extra pair of shoes (in Miami). What to do?

I bought a typical Paraguayan market bag. They are made of a strong plastic, and have a zip on top. I bought the large one, which is about 3 feet tall by about 8 inches wide, and when you fill it, it stands on its own. They are actually a really good investment. It's full-up! I am going to lug my big backpack and the enormo duffel I borrowed from my brother to site with me. I'm pretty pleased the way it worked out, except that my phone cord is in long term storage right now until Tuesday morning, so, no photos!

Guarani: Che micro oseta 11:30 martespe. Che aguaheta Santa Mariape tardeve martespe. Che avy'a Paraguaipe. Espanol: Mi micro va a salir a las 11:30 el Martes. Voy a llegar en Santa Maria el Martes por la tarde. Estoy contenta en Paraguay. English: My bus will leave at 11:30 on Tuesday. I will arrive in Santa Maria on Tuesday afternoon. I am happy in Paraguay.

I am having lunch today with my new good friend Jenny Spencer. She is a Muni volunteer as well and is from Ohio. She went to the Kennedy School of Government and is one year ahead of me (my sister group). She is here in Asuncion to talk to her mom on the phone, which she is doing right now. Then we are going to the BOLSI for lunch, which is a little slice of heaven in downtown Asuncion. It's a GORGEOUS day out. The weather turned on Saturday from 100 degrees down to about 60 and we've had some rain, but mostly sun and cool weather ever since. I'm milking it for all it's worth before it gets ungodly hot again and I melt. If I make it through the first January here with the heat, I'll make it my whole two years without question.

Oh jeez! I almost forgot. Strossner died! He was the dictator here for 35 years. He has been in exile in Brazil since 1989 when his regime was overthrown. There was an article in the NYTimes this week. Here's the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/16/world/americas/16cnd-stroessner.html?ex=1313380800&en=ed9da4578ae53841&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss
Many Paraguayans believe that they were "better off" under Strossner because there were "no ladrones y podemos dormir afuera y no necesitamos llevear nuestras casas" (no theives and we could sleep outside and we didn't need to lock our houses). All of that was true, but here were alot a lot of problems with how to he kept that state in place. Democracy is VERY young here and it is a long, slow haul. I can't believe I'm here and can make a difference in that process.

Mayoral elections take place in November, and the Presidential elections here will happen in 2008, so these two years are very important. It's a gift, really, to be here now. I hope I can continue to see it that way and not get bogged down in the difficulty of it. It is amazing how much we take democracy for granted (even though we clearly don't do it entirely right -- although we THINK we do!).

I'm off to site on Tuesday. I will keep the student leaders around the US in my thoughts as you all prepare for another group of first-years to arrive. I will keep the college administrators in my thoughts too, as you too, greet another group of millenials to your campuses! To the public school teachers and guidence counselors in my life: enjoy another opening! To those who work on a calendar year: keep on keepin' on, I guess. :)

Those who can, do me this favor: Remind the students to think about their civic rights and why it's amazing they are American. Engage them in discussions about the elections in November and how important they are even if they can't vote yet. Remind them they can influence their own country and in other parts of the world (Paraguay) that this is NOT a given. (Those who don't work with students could do the same thing with those around you, even though you'll prolly be seen as a nutcase!)

I'm not meaning to preach, but on the eve of my departure to the "campo" of Paraguay, to live and work with people trying hard to make their local government work and get roads that aren't dirt and help the people in their community be able to make ends meet, I can't help but think of home and how we live and what we sometimes take for granted. And anyone reading this has the ability to remind people how lucky we are.

I'm feeling really philosophical, and reflective as I head out to my new home. Ojala (I hope) that everything will be fine. I think it will. Until next time...

3 comments:

Cheryl Boss said...

Separation of church and state is understood by those of your intellect. God is understood by those who have your spirituality.

Don't be so quick to leave GOD out DUE TO POLICAL CORRECTNESS !!!!
I'm sorry, I'm the mom and I had to say it.

(Is it stealing if no one sees you take the soap????)

Karen Boss said...

Um, yes, it's still stealing. Where are you on the moral development continuum? :) And it's not political correctness. It's that GOD has nothing to do with my pledging allegiance to the US, no matter what. C'mon...

Cheryl Boss said...

I just read the Strossner article. No wonder you are excited about your muni placement. You are going to be helping people create their own democracy. How powerful and how fun. Yeah for you. You will learn SOOOOOO much in the process. All moments will be "teachable."