Monday, October 16, 2006

Hi, I'm Karen and I'll be taking care of you tonight...

My first shift back at waiting tables after almost a 10 year break. It went well. It was a Monday, so of course, it was quiet. I got there at 4:30 and we didn't have any tables until 5:45, and I left at 10. Between 6 and 10, I made $53. Not bad, especially for a Monday night. I was also able to pick up another shift for tomorrow day, so that'll be some more money I wasn't originally planning on.

Weirdest table tonight? An Asian couple who came in at around 9ish, speaking an Asian language I couldn't identify on a cell phone and to each other, but who finally ordered a rack of ribs, an individual size pizza and an order of sliders (which are three little cheeseburgers) and two sides of fries. They ate almost all of it and she was tiny. I was amazed.

Nicest table? The two women who I think were on a date who nicely asked, after they'd eaten almost everything, what was blue in the kitchen, considering there was a blue spot in their mashed potatoes. After I told them maybe blueberry flavoring and the manager then told them the prep stickers that are edible (not toxic) they ended up tipping me very well on the original total, not the new total after the manager took the offending burger and mashed off their check.

Thing I forgot about? Doing your sidework (such as filling ketchups, getting clean silverware, clean bowls, stocking supplies, etc.) and cleaning all the tables in your section and then having it checked by the closers and having to stand there while another staff person tells you to clean a lamp or fill a pepper shaker. I forgot how easy it is to get annoyed and how important it is not to because A. it'll be me sometime when I close and B. it's best for the restaurant to look clean and be clean.

Anyone notice how gorgeous the weather's been here in Boston (if you are in Boston) these past weeks? I have really been wanting to see The Departed, but haven't, because I haven't been able to bring myself to sit in a theatre in the middle of a day that is so beautiful. So I've been sitting outside reading my book and walking around JP pond to appreciate the sun and the trees and the colors of fall in New England.

I had my second interview for Boston Cares today. I really want that job. A lot. If I don't get it, it will be the first time I've not gotten a job I've really wanted. I'm trying not to worry about it and just roll with the fact that I did the best I could in the interviews and now I just have to hope they pick me. (Pick me! Pick me! Remember wanting that SO much in elementary school? I sort of feel like that right now. I actually said, out loud, when the elevator doors closed today as I was leaving, "Hire me!")

In the meantime, I'll wipe down tables, sell people giant chocolate chip cookies to go with their deep dish, and explain 400 times a shift that we have only Pepsi products, sorry. It's good for the soul to serve others. It reminds you how to be a good customer.

1 comment:

Cheryl Boss said...

I told you you were on the edge of a new adventure !

Take notice Non-Profit world.

HERE SHE COMES !!!