Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I got in trouble at Pizza School

I am spending 5 hours each night this week, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in Uno Chicago Bar and Grill training classes. To work at Uno's you have to do 5 training shifts in the restuarant and 15 hours of class that includes a BarCode Alcohol Server Certification. Although I am ready to kill myself after 5 hours of menu item descriptions, I have respect for this program as it is the most thorough I've seen and is FANTASTIC that they train servers to actually serve alcohol.

Tonight:

So the trainer gave us these sheets on the first night...one for each section of the menu. And she said we'd fill them out as we went along, as a group, not a test, for us to keep for info. I'm a huge geek, of course, and had an extra five minutes today when I arrived early at class, so I filled in some of the sheets ahead of where we'd discussed because I was familiar with some stuff, having already done my in-restuarant training shifts.

I went to the bathroom. When I got back, she held them up and asked "Are these yours?" (How did she get them? I thought to myself. I thought they were under my other book.) "Yes," I answered. "You can't work ahead," said she. "Why not? They are my sheets," I replied. "You are supposed to do them with the group." I said, quietly, but in all seriousness, "Whatever."

What is worse? That I got in trouble in Pizza School for working ahead or that the only answer I could come up with in response was: "Whatever"? You decide.

2 comments:

Caroline Bender said...

what's worse is that you can not work ahead of the GROUP. Oh, Karen, you big Pizza Skins show-off. How will Jennifer and Kyle ever learn their apps without the support of their yokemates?!

Cheryl Boss said...

You are CURSED. It's that disease of thinking one has to ALWAYS be achieving. I'm sorry I'm the mom. I know it must be my fault.
The sad part is there is NO HOPE for you becuae you are my daughter.

The worse part is she was spying on you, looked under your book, and THEN reprimanded you for over achieving. You could always strive for mediocrity and fir in with the crowd.