Friday, October 20, 2006

Puedo planchar




I can iron.

After years of saying that I don't know how to iron (or don't want to) and spending loads of money on the dry cleaners, I have finally had to just admit that I do, indeed, know how to iron.

I have always said that it's worth the money to pay someone else to not only wash, but press, my clothes. You drop them off, and pick them up only 2 days later all ready to be worn. And you get free hangers out of the deal!

But, as you all know, I've had NO money come in for the last 6 weeks and have had to cut corners. Not only that, but when you work at a place that requires a blue shirt and black pants every day and you only own two of each, the dry cleaners is out of the question.

And so, for the first time since I've lived with my roommate, who is an ironing fiend, I have actually used her board and iron regularly. Come to find out, I DID pay attention all those years ago when Mom taught me to iron a shirt. I can actually do it, and it looks good.

I guess I can't claim I don't know how anymore. If I choose to take clothes to the dry cleaner when I start my new job and have a proper salary again, it'll have to be because I'm lazy and self-indulgent. I'll have to decide whether I can live with that or whether I'll have to just keep using the iron and board in the way I was taught, the way I apparently know how, and stop pretending I can't. I hate having to admit I'm full of it!

1 comment:

Caroline Bender said...

Ironing is extremely satisfying. You will come to realize this. It creates neatness out of chaos, and what is better than that? First rule: it is not about pressure; it is about steam. (Never iron dry. Waste of time.) Iron inside out - less stress on the fabric, and mitigates the risk of an irreversible scorch stain. Spray starch is OK for oxford cloth, but generally makes more mess than it helps, and the spray clogs after 2 tries. Just get a good iron, iron as needed, and enjoy. Next you'll be buying linen!