Sunday, October 29, 2006

Q: Where's the best place to eat a pizza at Uno's on break?


A: In the way-back of your station wagon in the parking lot behind the restaurant. (These kids only need pizza to complete their fun!)

I was on a double today, god willing, my last day at Uno's. I technically have one more shift next Saturday-day, but I'm trying desperately to get someone to pick it up for me. I worked from 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. with about a 45 minute break and I walked out with $156, so it's not all bad.

Around 4, I had a break to eat. I couldn't stand staying inside anymore, since it was such a gorgeous day - blue sky, puffy white clouds and wind. So I went out back with my individual sized Chicago Classic pizza on a plate and a cup of water splashed with lemonade and opened the back of my oh-so-cool station wagon and sat in the back. It was chilly, though, so I closed the hatch - slowly, as to not completely shut it. But it clicked shut anyway, and there I was, happily eating my pizza and drinking my soda, both sat on the floor in front of me. I was trapped in the back, though, and had to crawl over the seat to let myself out when I was done. :)

I have had the following in my head for the past week, and I've got to put them somewhere. So, read along. If you agree, cool. If you don't, that's cool too. Not meaning ot sound preachy, but these are some things I desperately have wanted to say to my tables this past week and of course, couldn't.

1. Servers are paid roughly $2.43 per hour. The tips are the salary.

2. You tip 20% if the person was good, friendly, brought you stuff you asked for and didn't forget anything. 15% if the person was just okay, forgot something and didn't mention it. You only tip less than 15% if the person was horrible, and in that case, you should ask to talk to a manager instead of just tipping badly. The person needs help. If you are inclined to tip more than 20%, fantastic. The person will love you and talk about you for days.

3. You don't tip less at lunch. Lunch is still the same service as dinner. The person still does as much work. And, the amount spent is consistently lower at lunch, making for lower tips as it is. So when someone doesn't tip 20% or even 15% just because it's lunch, it makes for a very low money-making day and leaves the server thinking they did something wrong.

4. Every time you ask a server to get you something, it's the same amount of effort for them. For example, when you place your food order, the server is only putting it into the computer and then getting it when it's cooked and bringing to to you. But when you order a salad, dessert or drinks, you can bet that she/he has to make at least one of those things by his/herself. And, every beer or coffee or coffee drink you order is another trip for the server. So, just becuase you only ate sandwiches and then sat for 2 hours having beers or coffee or whatever, that doesn't mean you don't have to tip as much. You do. She/he put in as much time and running around to get you the next round as if you had ordered a five course meal and only one drink.

5. If you don't like your drink, food, soup, whatever...tell the server. They should fix it for you. They should offer you something else. They should offer to send a manager over. If they don't offer you something, don't go to that place again.

6. If your food takes longer than you think it should be taking, and your server has not even mentioned this to you, definitely hold them accountable. But, if you see that virtually every table is full and your server has come by at least once or twice to check your sodas and to tell you that your food is coming or that she/he just checked on it, please don't punish her/him for the lateness of your food. They didn't cook it. Chances are, they stood back in the kitchen and tried to find out where it was while dodging the kitchen staff trying to kill them. Or, they just stood by and waited, because they had no choice because there were 4 or 5 tables in front of yours back there. Hold the whole restuarant accountable. Ask to talk to a manager, or don't go back there. But don't take it out on the server in the tip just because you can.

7. If your server greets you and says anything honest, such as, "I'll be right back. I'm so sorry, but this table behind you was sat just before you got here, and I have to just get their drinks" it's probably true. Watch her/him for a few minutes. Is she/he running around all the time or is she/he missing or do you see them standing around? If they are near you and running around, chances are they will get to you as soon as humanly possible. Try to understand. Of course, some servers are just shitty servers and don't organize their time well, but you'll figure that out as your meal progresses. Just don't get too mad in the beginning as long as they have given you some explanation.

8. I serve tables on the "iced tea theory." I've had this theory for about 12 years now, and I've taken it into all other work I've done. The theory is this: When you ask me for another iced tea (or whatever you've asked for), I promise I will get it to you as soon as I can, but I can't get it to you any sooner than I can. Apply that to everything. Now of course, sometimes people can't tell if you are putting in the "as soon as I humanly can" effort, but if you are, there's nothing more you can do.

I have another whole list of rants for the staff of restuarants, which includes: cleaning up after yourself, putting things back where they belong so the next person can find it, filling up whatever you just took the last of, not being bitchy, helping people who ask for help, not hiding when the kitchen needs help running food to tables, doing sidework correctly, cleaning up after other people when they don't have time so the place doesn't look like a bomb hit it - among others. But that's another essay.

I start work on Wednesday at Boston Cares. Thank the goddess.

No comments: